Reporting to the police

You do not have to report to the police if you don’t want to but you have a right to do so. If you need help to think through this decision, contact Galop. In an emergency you can contact 999 or go to any A&E or police station.

If more time has gone by since you were assaulted, you can contact the specialist police team in your area. Search online for contact details for your local police force.

If you live in Greater London, or you are attacked in Greater London, you will have contact with the Met Police’s specialist Sapphire teams, made up of officers who are specially trained in working with victims of sexual assault. You can contact Sapphire officers in your local area by calling the main police number for Greater London – 101 – and asking to be out through or contact Galop, which can contact on your behalf.

If you‘ve experienced something you didn’t want or you feel confused about what’s happening when you’re having sex in any context, Galop’s specialist service can offer you listening, understanding and support in an informed and confidential way and help you report to the police, if this is what you want.

Contact Catherine on 020 7704 2040 or at